Thursday, October 6, 2011

Turning the Page...with AASL






AASL's National Conference theme is Turning the Page (photo credit: http://www.aasl11.ning.com/). As I reflect on Turning the Page on my own career, I think of the new activities I have done so far this year and my own hopes and dreams for the future. Skype with an author. Check. (Really! It was the most fun thing in the world for the 6th grade class who spoke with Jennifer Nielsen, author of Elliott and the Pixie Plot (photo at left courtesy of Jennifer Nielsen's website).



She loved them as much as they loved her). Write a blog entry. Check. Stretch my Book Fair dollars with an online fair and promote online Wish Lists for teachers. Check.





But how else can I work to Turn the Page on my own career? I plan on doing more of the same, but I also want to stretch my horizons by reading The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr, AASL's keynote speaker and author of the all-conference book. Click here to see an interview posted on AASL's website. I want to do all of the things listed on this blog: read the fantastic ideas posted by school librarians and experts in the field to glean new ideas, plan to attend as many conferences as possible (This year's ALLA will be in Birmingham in April and a school librarian is at the helm: Steven Yates, Mountain Brook High School librarian. What does he have in store for school librarians?), and lastly try out all the new tech ideas listed on the AASL website.


One more idea that all of us can do to Turn the Page, if not attending the AASL National Conference, is register for the AASL virtual conference. Register online by 4 p.m. on October 26. Registration for AASL members is $99.

No comments:

Post a Comment